FULL RECIPE BELOW – Mike’s Pizza Dough Recipe for Wood Fired Ovens, comprised of Type 00 Caputo Flour. 24 Hour Rise. ~63% Hydration.
This recipe does NOT strictly comply with the rules for Neapolitan pizza dough – fairly it’s “Napoletano Inspired” 🙂
See my Part 2 Video (Cooking this dough in a Wood Oven) right here: http://youtu.be/dr2gmct9SlE
This recipe assumes you will have a KitchenAid stand Mixer. If you do not have one, you may need to improvise!
DISCLAIMER: I provide up this recipe with no ensures of success by any means. If you will have questions, want to share your experiences, or simply appreciated the video, please depart me a remark. NO HATE MAIL PLEASE – I’m only a common man making an attempt to make pizza as a interest!
1 Kg bag of Neapolitan Tipo 00 Flour (Caputo or different) – must be about 5+ cups
2 + 2/3 Cups Luke Warm Water (473ml + 158ml)
2 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast (1 Packet Fleischman’s) [1 tsp for 48hr Rise / 2 tsp for 24hr rise] (4g or 8g)
1 Tablespoon Table Salt (15g)
½ Teaspoon Sugar (2.5g)
Note: For those that care, this seems to be about 63% Hydration by weight.
MAKING THE DOUGH
1. Combine 2/3 Cup (158ml) luke heat water and yeast in small bowl or measuring cup. Stir with fork, and let stand 10 minutes. Yeast ought to change into foamy because it proofs. If it doesn’t, your yeast is not any good – throw it out, and get new yeast!
2. Meanwhile, use whisk to totally combine all dry components.
3. Using mixer’s dough hook and velocity 1 (KitchenAid), mix 2.5 cups (half) of the flour combination and a pair of cups (473ml) luke heat water in mixer bowl.
4. Once mixed, add yeast answer and blend for 10 minutes, utilizing velocity 2, scraping down sides of bowl as required.
5. Dough ought to now resemble a moist lumpy pancake batter. Let stand for 10 minutes. You ought to see small bubbles seem within the dough, and the lumpiness will probably be gone.
6. Add remaining flour combination and blend on velocity 1 till mixed, and scrape down sides of bowl.
7. Using Speed 1, combine for five minutes. The dough ought to separate from sides of blending bowl earlier than the 5 minute mark, however let it knead till the 5 minutes are up.
8. Remove dough hook, and let stand for 10 minutes.
9. The dough ought to nonetheless be pretty moist and sticky.
10. Use a plastic spatula or scraper to take away dough from mixer bowl onto a flippantly floured counter. Form it right into a ball, kneading it briefly, and tucking it beneath itself. The dough will probably be fairly sticky. Place in a big flippantly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and place in fridge.
11. Let dough proof in fridge for 24 hours or extra. It ought to double in dimension (at the very least).
FORMING THE DOUGH BALLS
(2 to Four hours previous to cooking)
1. Remove dough from bowl onto counter, and work it into a protracted sausage form, utilizing bench flour sparingly.
2. Use bench scraper or giant knife to divide into 5 equal sized balls of about 320g every. Form balls by hand (no kneading!), and by tucking them beneath themselves. Do NOT overwork the dough!
3. Place balls in a big sealed proofing tray, sprinkling a small quantity of flour down first. A big restaurant-type plastic bin with a snap-on lid is right, or improvise with one other container and plastic wrap. You need to preserve the moisture inside so the balls don’t develop a dry outer pores and skin.
4. Allow dough balls to come back to room temperature and proof for two to Four hours, protecting them coated. The balls will double their dimension, however will flatten out considerably attributable to their moisture content material. This is ideal!
5. Time this in an effort to use the dough balls instantly.
NOTE: Sometimes I make the balls effectively forward of cooking time. In this case, put them within the fridge, and take away them 2 to Four hours earlier than cooking time to allow them to heat up.
MAKING PIZZAS FROM DOUGH BALLS IN WOOD OVEN
See my Part 2 Video right here: http://youtu.be/dr2gmct9SlE
Maintain oven ground temp of 700F (370C) and dome of 900F (480C).
When eradicating dough balls from proofing tray, DO NOT knead them, or type them again into balls! Lift out of tray with a bench scraper, rigorously sustaining their flattened type, and place onto a floured work floor. A number of light presses with fingers ideas will probably be sufficient to unfold them out – they need to change into pizzas!!
Whatever you do, DO NOT overwork the dough, and check out to not flatten the outer rim. This will protect the bubbles within the rim, and make for an incredible outer crust.