A tasty and colorful recipe from the Sicilian gastronomic tradition, the Pasta alla Norma is a triumph of Mediterranean flavors and was so called in honor of Vincenzo Bellini’s opera “Norma”. The story says that in the 19th century, Nino Martoglio, a Sicilian writer, poet and theater director, was so impressed when he first tasted this dish that he compared it to “Norma”, Bellini’s masterpiece.
And the name lasted ever since.
Hope you guys enjoy it!
1 large eggplant
300g (10 Oz) of pasta
A handful of fresh basil
400g (14 Oz) of Italian canned peeled tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt for the sauce
1 tablespoon of salt for the eggplant
1 pepperoncino (total 1 teaspoon, minced)
Shredded vegan cheese
– cut the eggplant into medium size strips
– place them in a colander and sprinkle some salt in it, make sure all layers of eggplant are salted. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for about 1 hour.
– wash the eggplant in current water then pat them dry using a kitchen towel or paper towel.
– heat up the vegetable oil in a frying pan, add the eggplant and fry them until they are golden, remove them and place them on a paper towel. Reserve.
– on a separate pan, start cooking the pasta according to the package instructions. Turn off the pasta heat 1 minute before they are ready and let them rest in the cooking water until we mix them in the sauce.
– peel and bruise the garlic and mince the pepperoncino
– on a separate pan, add the olive oil, the garlic and the pepperoncino, lightly fry them in low heat for about 50 seconds. Add the tomatoes, the salt, pepper, and some basil leaves. Cook it in medium heat for 2 minutes then add half of the fried eggplant, cook for 10 minutes more, add the strained pasta and cook it for 1 to 2 more minutes.
– turn off the heat, Remove the garlic and the basil stalks (if you used the stalks), transfer the pasta into individual plates, add the remainder of the fried eggplant, the vegan cheese and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve it immediately.
———————————– SHOP HANZO ————————————————–
🔪🔪 Amazon store: https://amzn.to/2RSqyGz
🔪🔪 Hanzo Knives Website: https://www.gethanzo.com
🔪🔪 Get a 25% discount with the code CHEFJANA
The cast iron skillets I use: https://amzn.to/2U0yCCK
The knife I use: https://amzn.to/2NfEANz
Support me on Patreon:
Follow me on Social Media:
Follow me on Facebook: Chef Jana Pinheiro
Bushwick Tarantella by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
————————————————————————————————————-Spring meal: Pasta alla Norma⎜ Vegan basil, tomato sauce and eggplant pasta recipe by Chef Jana Pinheiro
£20.21 in stock
186 used from £0.48
- Mint Condition
- Dispatch same day for order received before 12 noon
- Guaranteed packaging
- No quibbles returns
Coppola Sauces Set - No Sugar Added 6X Recipes (Pack of 6 x 350g)
- The Coppola No Sugar Added Sauces Set include 6 more tasty variants: Classico, Puttanesca, Montanara, Siciliana, Napoletana and Bolognese.
- Each recipe comes from a region of Italy; Sicialiana sauce comes from the region of Sicily, where it is also known as "Sugo alla Norma", while Puttanesca sauce originates from the gulf of Naples and Montanara sauce from Italian Alps. Coppola No Sugar Added Sauces are ideal for short pasta type as rigatoni or fusilli, but also with long pasta type as spaghetti and tagliatelle.
- Puttanesca, Siciliana and Classico were awarded 1 star at Great Taste Awards: Judges commented "Rich fresh red colour, and good looking consistency with generous tomato which is bursting with flavour, with an earthy edge,".." "Good colour, good size pieces and healthy looking olives all of which have kept their colours. The flavours are good, there is a rich tomato with natural sweetness".
- No sugar and now sweeteners added. Our secret? From 78% to 95% Italian tomatoes. Just good quality Italian tomatoes and nothing else. Gluten free certified, all natural, dairy and starch free. Plastic free. Packed in glass jars with BPA free lid.
- Try all of them and let us know which your favourite No Sugar Added sauce is!
Bella Italia Sugo alla Norma - 19.4 oz (12 Pack)
- 12 - 19.4 oz jar of Bella Italia Sugo alla Norma
- Bella Italia Sugo alla Norma from Sicily is a red sauce based on Eggplants and is considered one of the most famous recipe from Trapani area
- The generosity of this sun-kissed island, bloom in to all natural ingredients where it's possible to taste the essence of this abundant fertile land
- Made with Fresh Vegetables from Local Markets