Flatbreads have turn into a well-liked appetizer provided at many native eating places. What it nice about flatbreads is that the topping choices are countless, they’re straightforward to assemble (particularly for those who purchase premade pizza dough), they’re nice for sharing, and folk love them. We get pleasure from entertaining, and I’m all the time making an attempt out new recipes that I can serve to our friends. Flatbreads are a simple to assemble appetizer that I usually make the most of when entertaining.
I’m an enormous fan of pesto, significantly basil pesto, and I make it usually all through the summer season once we are in Umbria the place our herbs develop like weeds. Unfortunately, right here in Florida, we do not need a spot to develop herbs correctly, and basil is kind of costly. I’ve discovered that the massive jar of pesto bought at Costco is a good various to creating your personal and is way less expensive. I exploit this pesto on broiled fish, tossed into scorching pasta, and even combined into salad dressings. Basil, eggplant, and tomatoes are an ideal mixture, so once I was making a flatbread final week I made a decision to mix them on my crust. I used a mixture of shredded mozzarella and fontina cheese, though you possibly can actually use all mozzarella, or all fontina for those who most popular. To give my flatbread just a bit texture, I added pine nuts on prime. The trick to rolling pizza dough skinny sufficient is to have it at room temperature. If too chilly, the dough won’t chill out sufficient and can hold pulling again as you roll it.
Deborah Mele 2015
Pesto, Eggplant & Tomato Flatbread
- 1 Pound Pizza Dough
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Eggplant, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Dice (About 4 Cups)
- half of Cup Basil Pesto
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 half of Cups Grated Fontina Cheese
- 2 Cups Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
- Divide your dough into two equal items and let sit at room temperature for a minimum of 2 hours.
- While your dough is warming, warmth the oil in a big frying pan over medium warmth, and add the eggplant.
- Cook the eggplant, turning usually till golden brown and mushy, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 levels F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a flippantly floured floor, roll the dough into an oval of about 16 by 12 inches in dimension, and about 1/Four inch thick and place every on the ready baking sheets.
- Lightly unfold the pesto over every of the flatbreads, leaving a 1-inch border throughout.
- Cover every of the flatbreads with half of every of the cheeses.
- Divide the eggplant, tomatoes, and pine nuts evenly over every of the flatbreads.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or till bubbly and golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes, then use a pizza peel to chop into eight items.