GNOCCHI CANNELLONI MARRIAGE
This pasta masterpiece is the wedding of gnocchi and cannelloni – aptly named, GNOCCOLONI! Invented in 2018 by Italian born (Australian) Masterchef contestant, Gina Ottaway, they’re extensively wanted and completely scrumptious! Gina joined me within the kitchen to create these mezzaluna formed morsels of pasta utilizing the identical elements as gnocchi, then stuffed them with a tasty ricotta and spinach filling which can soften in your mouth. You can’t miss this pasta invention – it’s an Italian dish recreated and it’s EVERYTHING.
four massive brush potatoes
four garlic cloves
Water – to boil the pasta & the potatoes
2 x eggs
Parmesan Cheese (as a lot or as little as you want!)
Salt and Pepper
Medium measurement pot to boil the potatoes
Sharp chopping knife
Medium fry pan
- Wash and peel the potatoes effectively, then lower them into even, medium measurement items and go away them to boil in a pan full of water.
- When the potatoes have come to a boil (you’ll usually see a foam begin to type on the high of the water), use a fork and press it into one of many potatoes, to see whether it is delicate. If it goes by shortly and simply, take them straight off the boil and pressure them effectively.
NONNA GINA’S TIP: Once strained, go away the potatoes within the sieve, place this excessive of the pot (letting it relaxation on the brim), and canopy it with the lid, leaving a small hole for air to flee. Leave this apart for 15-20 minutes. This will take away any extra moisture and ensure your potatoes are good and fluffy.
- Slice and chop the garlic cloves utilizing a chopping board and sharp knife.
- Put a fry pan on medium warmth and add a beneficiant quantity of EVOO, then add the spinach straight on high and season with just a few pinches of salt and pepper too. Leave this to chill in your chopping board and chop it up finely.
- Scoop the ricotta into a big mixing bowl and crack an egg on high. Whisk this effectively and mix it into the combo as it’s going to act as a binding agent for all of the elements.
- Then, add a beneficiant portion of shredded mozzarella, an enormous handful of parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and blend once more.
- Finally, give the spinach one final chop, and add it into the bowl too, mixing it so that each one the scrumptious flavours mix.
- Scoop out all of the combination right into a piping bag so it’s simpler to fill your Gnoccoloni!
- Now, again to the potatoes! Remove the lid, and you’ll discover that a few of the potatoes have a barely white edge – this implies they’ve steamed effectively. They ought to be lukewarm to the touch.
- Get 2 handfuls of plain flour and put them into the centre of the chopping board. Make a effectively within the center and put the potatoes by the ricer, ensuring to not waste one bit!
- Once all of the potatoes have been put by the ricer, make one other effectively within the centre, crack an egg into the center of it and begin to mix all of the elements collectively.
- Gently knead the gnocchi dough and if it feels sticky, add a small quantity of flour at a time to get it to simply the appropriate consistency. Keep including and kneading till you create a big “GNOCCO!”
NONNA GINA’S TIP: To take a look at the gnocchi dough, press down utilizing your finger and if it holds effectively, you’re heading in the right direction!
- Sprinkle some flour to the facet of your board, and go away the dough to relaxation.
- To begin making the gnoccoloni, lower a small portion of dough from the bigger piece and place flour beneath and on high, gently flattening it along with your arms. Then, utilizing a rolling pin, VERY GENTLY roll backwards and forwards, flip it over and repeat. Always ensuring there’s sufficient flour, so it doesn’t stick.
- Once rolled out, use the cookie cutter to make spherical discs and start to pipe a pleasant measurement quantity of filling into the centre of every one.
- Gently fold over every morsel, becoming a member of them from edge to edge and urgent down delicately to seal the perimeters so that you don’t make a gap within the dough.
- Sprinkle flour on to your board, putting every Gnoccolone on high, this may assist forestall it from sticking to it.
HOW TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Get recent leaves of sage and put them right into a pan, crisping them up utilizing grapeseed oil. Then put these to the facet.
- Put a fry pan on medium warmth and add round 75g of butter, transferring the pan round so the butter shortly melts and covers the bottom of it.
- Once the butter has melted, utilizing a tablespoon, scoop some up and examine if there are burnt bits on the backside, if they’re, your butter is prepared!
HOW TO COOK THE GNOCCOLONI
- Bring a big pot of water to boil – don’t neglect so as to add a handful of salt as soon as it’s boiling away.
- Gently place every Gnoccoloni into the pot and wait till they rise to the highest. Once they do, drain them effectively and add them to the pan with the butter, then drop them in and lather them in butter.
HOW TO SERVE
Put the Gnoccoloni onto a flate plate, add just a few sage leaves on high and sprinkle some pepper on them together with just a few extra drops of the scrumptious burnt butter…
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….get pleasure from!
Join my non-public unique Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and expertise the Real Italy like you may have by no means seen earlier than.
The tour is unique to solely 10 passionate foodies and it’s very distinctive. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video under and benefit from the sightseeing of the greenest area in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate