Thin flatbreads topped with seasonal substances are very fashionable proper now. The distinction between these flatbreads and a pizza are that they’re rolled out very skinny, then are reduce into small items and are loved as appetizers or as a lightweight lunch choice. We have a pizza oven at residence, and attempt to make pizza a minimum of as soon as per week. I all the time make my very own dough, and though I’ve been making pizza dough for years, I normally overestimate portions and have some dough leftover. I weigh the leftover dough, form it into balls, freeze it after which use it for simple flatbreads like this one.
For this recipe, you’ll be able to both make your personal dough through the use of my pizza dough recipe, or purchase pre-made pizza dough out of your native grocery retailer. The trick to rolling out this dough very thinly is to make sure it’s at room temperature earlier than you begin. If your dough is just too chilly, it will likely be too elastic and preserve snapping again and shrinking as you attempt to roll it. Don’t fear about rolling your dough out into an ideal oval or rectangle as it’s extra rustic trying when not completely formed, and everybody will know it’s home made. I used a complete grain spelt dough for my crust, however any pizza dough you like would work for this dish.
I topped this flatbread with seasonal substances together with roasted cubes of butternut squash, sautéed kale, blobs of roasted garlic, and crispy pancetta crumbles. I used slightly mozzarella cheese to carry the substances onto the dough, although you don’t want a whole lot of cheese. If you would not have roasted garlic, or garlic confit available, you might use skinny slices of garlic as a substitute, though the roasted garlic provides a stunning earthy taste to this dish. The toppings may be ready the day earlier than and refrigerated till wanted, making these flatbreads an incredible choice for entertaining.
Deborah Mele 2017
Butternut Squash, Kale, Roasted Garlic, & Pancetta Flatbread
- 2 (8 Ounce) Balls Pizza Dough At Room Temperature
- 1 Small Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded, And Flesh Cut Into 1-inch Cubes (About 3 Cups Total)
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Small Bunch Lacinato Kale (Or Regular Kale)
- 6 Ounces Cubed Pancetta
- 4 Tablespoons Garlic Confit
- 12 Ounces Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and toss the squash cubes with Three tablespoons olive oil.
- Spread the squash evenly over the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Set apart the squash till wanted.
- Increase oven warmth to 425 levels F.
- In a frying pan, cook dinner the pancetta till evenly crisp and brown.
- Set apart.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems and coarsely chop.
- Bring a pot of evenly salted water to boil, and cook dinner the kale till tender.
- Drain, then as soon as cool, squeeze all of the water out together with your fingers.
- Sprinkle a sheet of parchment paper with some flour, then roll out into an oval 1/Four inch thick.
- Carefully transfer the parchment sheet onto a baking sheet, then roll out the second ball of dough in the identical method.
- Brush each flatbreads with olive oil, then cowl evenly with the shredded mozzarella.
- Divide the kale, squash, garlic confit, and pancetta evenly between the 2 flatbreads.
- Bake till bubbly and evenly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes, slice and luxuriate in!