I appear to be on a Brussels sprouts kick lately, utilizing them in pasta with salty guanciale, shredded in a salad with grated Pecorino cheese and walnuts, or as a aspect dish roasted with crumbled Italian sausage. In Italy the place greens are far more seasonal of their availability, they’re normally accessible solely within the fall. Here within the states the place sprouts can be found 12 months spherical, I purchase them typically. When shopping for sprouts, select agency, vivid inexperienced heads that present no splitting, or browning. The smaller sprouts are extra tender and candy, so greater just isn’t all the time higher. To retailer sprouts, loosely wrap them in paper after which place them in a plastic bag. Store within the vegetable crisper for as much as three days. The sprouts used on this recipe are sliced thinly and cooked simply till they’re tender crisp.
We have pizza at the very least as soon as per week in our home, and having a pizza oven each right here in Florida in addition to one in Italy ensures that we will produce high-quality pizza. My husband is a creature of behavior and could be blissful consuming the identical pizza each week. His favourite pizza is a Margarita pizza, topped with contemporary peppery arugula and skinny slices of prosciutto after it has been baked. I however, want to attempt totally different toppings steadily, typically by no means making the identical pizza twice for months. This pizza is one I created this 12 months for the primary time, and it has turn out to be a private favourite of mine. Although you’ll be laborious pressed to discover a pizza in Italy topped with Brussels sprouts, it’s really scrumptious. I mixed diced guanciale sautéed till golden brown with skinny slices of Brussels sprouts that I sautéed in the identical pan. For the cheese, I exploit a mixture of diced mozzarella and Taleggio, and briny Kalamata olives full the pizza.
I lately found some fantastic guanciale on-line at Nduja Artisans as a result of it’s unavailable to me regionally in shops. I really like guanciale and like to prepare dinner with it since it’s a widespread ingredient I exploit in Umbria, however be at liberty to substitute pancetta, and even bacon if you must. Taleggio cheese is my favourite Italian cheese and is a semi-soft, washed rind, smear-ripened Italian cheese that’s named after Val Taleggio. It is a creamy, skinny rinded cheese that has a singular, subtly musty taste. If you might be unable to seek out Talegio regionally, I’d counsel utilizing a full flavored Brie rather than the Taleggio.
My Husband, Our Resident Pizzaiolo!
The Pizza Baking In Our Pizza Oven
Deborah Mele 2015
Brussels Sprouts Pizza With Guanciale & Kalamata Olives
- 1 Pound Prepared is Dough (Either Store Bought, or This Whole Wheat Dough, or Deb’s New & Improved Dough)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Ounces Guanciale or Pancetta, Diced
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts, Trimmed, & Thinly Sliced
- Cracked Black Pepper To Taste
- half Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 2 Cups Full Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 half Cups Diced Taleggio Cheese
- half Cup Pitted Halved Kalamata Olives
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Divide the dough up into eight ounce parts, rolling every in a ball.
- Place two of the balls on a evenly oiled plate and canopy with plastic wrap and refrigerate till wanted.
- Remove the dough balls from the fridge 2 half hours earlier than wanted, permitting them to utterly come to room temperature earlier than utilizing.
- Preheat your oven to the very best setting (normally 500 levels F.).
- In a frying pan, warmth the olive oil till piping sizzling, then prepare dinner the guanciale till evenly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove the guanciale from the pan.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the identical pan, and season with black pepper and pink pepper flakes.
- Cook the sprouts, stirring typically, till cooked till tender crisp, three or Four minutes.
- For Each Pizza: On a evenly floured floor, use your arms to press your dough out to a 12 inch circle.
- Lightly cowl a baking sheet (or pizza peel if utilizing a pizza stone) with flour, and place the dough on prime.
- Lightly brush the floor of the pizza with olive oil, then scatter the mozzarella and crumble the Taleggio over every
- pizza, leaving a 1 inch border throughout.
- Divide the Brussels sprouts, guanciale, and olives over every pizza.
- Sprinkle the highest of every pizza with some sea salt, then bake every pizza till bubbly and golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.