Polenta is much like grits. In northern Italy, the place it’s commonest, it may be ready and served in many alternative methods. In its most elementary preparation, polenta is a easy and dense porridge. It could be served alongside many alternative meals, equivalent to cheese, greens, fish, meat, and sport, the proteins most frequently in a sauce or guazzetto. When chilled, polenta could be fried, grilled, or baked.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 35 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 5 cups water (or half water and half milk, for a richer style)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 contemporary bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- Cooked polenta is scrumptious served as is, however if you need so as to add extra taste, all or only one or two of the next additions, whipped into the new polenta, are nice choices:
- four tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, minimize into items
- 1 cup grated Grana Padano
- ½ cup mascarpone
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- In a big saucepan, mix the water (or water and milk), olive oil, bay leaf, and salt, and convey to a simmer over medium warmth.
- Very slowly, sift the cornmeal by handfuls into the pot, by means of the fingers of 1 hand, stirring continually with a wood spoon or whisk to take away any lumps.
- Once all the cornmeal is added, modify the warmth so only a few lazy bubbles pop to the floor. Continue to cook dinner and stir till the polenta is easy and thick and pulls away from the edges of the pan as it’s stirred, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- To serve, beat within the ending objects of your alternative.
- Discard the bay leaf, pour the polenta right into a serving bowl or onto a wood board, and permit it to relaxation a couple of minutes.
- To serve from the bowl, dip a big spoon into scorching water and scoop the polenta onto particular person dishes, dipping the spoon into the water between scoops. To serve from the board, minimize polenta into segments with a skinny, taut string or knife, and switch to plates with a spatula or cake server.