October has arrived, and now it actually does really feel like fall! The temperatures have dropped considerably, significantly within the evenings, and the timber appear to be altering colours in a single day. Although it isn’t fairly chilly sufficient to mild up our fire, cooler temperatures have me wanting to arrange extra soups, stews, and heartier, comforting pasta dishes.
I am keen on baked pasta, whether or not it’s a good massive tacky lasagna, or a casserole dish of quick pasta, meat, and cheese, there’s simply one thing about taking that dish out of the oven effervescent sizzling and golden brown that has me drooling simply serious about it! My husband is much less keen on baked pasta however extra for the truth that the pasta can change into mushy if overcooked and he likes his pasta VERY al dente! I work onerous to beat this downside by cooking the pasta much less in boiling water earlier than assembling it with the opposite substances for the oven for the reason that pasta will preserve baking as soon as within the oven.
This week I informed my husband that I used to be craving a baked pasta dish however gave him the selection of substances. Of course, since he loves bitter greens of any description, he stated he needed one thing with cima di rape or broccoli rabe in it. Since sausage goes so nicely with bitter greens, I included sausage and melded every little thing in a creamy, tacky white sauce flavored with sage. The pasta was a success and is certainly one which I might be making many times in the course of the cooler months. Since there are solely two of us right here in Italy in the intervening time, I divided the substances in half and froze one casserole for future enjoyment. This sort of dish freezes very well, simply thaw fully earlier than baking it. You may fully put together this dish the morning you propose to serve it after which refrigerate it which makes it nice for entertaining. Just take away the casserole a minimum of an hour or extra from the fridge to permit it to return to room temperature earlier than baking.
If you don’t look after the bitterness of broccoli rabe, you can use both Swiss chard or spinach. I used a light fennel sausage made domestically right here in Umbria, however a spicy Italian sausage would even be scrumptious. For this kind of pasta casserole dish, any quick number of pasta works wonderful. I used mezzi rigatoni, or a half rigatoni form that I had readily available.
Fall View From Our Property Here In Umbria
Fall Has Arrived!
Deborah Mele 2018
Baked Pasta With Sausage & Cima di Rape
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage, Meat Removed From Casings (See Notes Above)
- 5 Clove Garlic, Peeled & Minced
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh sage, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cups Prepared Bechamel Sauce
- 4 Cups Grated Medium Soft Cheese (Caciota, Fontina, Asiago)
- Salt & Pepper
- half of Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (Optional)
- 1 Pound Package Short Pasta (See Notes Above)
- 1 Bunch Broccoli Rabe, Tough Ends Removed, Cut Into 2-inch Pieces
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- In a big frying pan, warmth the olive oil and add the sausage.
- Cook the meat over medium warmth, breaking it up because it cooks till it’s not pink, about 7 to eight minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion, and proceed to prepare dinner, stirring usually, till the onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the recent sage and proceed to prepare dinner a minute or two.
- Drain any extra oil from the pan, then add the béchamel sauce and grated cheese.
- Reduce the warmth to low, and prepare dinner, stirring usually, till the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and crimson pepper flakes and preserve heat.
- Heat a big pot of frivolously salted water to boil, then prepare dinner the pasta Three minutes much less advisable cooking time.
- Preheat oven to 375 levels F.
- During the final 2 minutes of cooking, add the broccoli rabe to the pasta pot.
- Drain the pasta and greens nicely, then return to the pot.
- Pour within the sausage and cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour the pasta combination into a big casserole dish (or two smaller ones) and bake lined for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and prepare dinner one other 10 minutes.
- Pour the cream evenly excessive and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Either enhance oven warmth to excessive or activate the broiler and proceed to prepare dinner till the pasta is effervescent and golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes and then serve and luxuriate in!